Monday, August 9, 2010

Seniors and Fitness

Last week I received a call from Dorothy Walker, a local resident who works out at Curves on the border of Elk Grove and Sacramento.
Walker told me that many senior citizens workout at that gym and suggested I write a story about "seniors taking charge."
While I like the concept of fitness for seniors, I needed an angle. So I called the Department of Physical Education at Cosumnes River College (CRC) and spoke with the dean, Liz Belyea.
She said today's seniors have more opportunities to develop unhealthy habits.
Which is a shame, because as Belyea reminded me of something I remember reading about in college, as we get older our bodies get weaker. Our bones become more susceptible injuries from falling. That is why strength training is so important, especially for senior citizens.
Read about senior health in this week's "The Scoop" column and stay tuned for a future story about senior citizen health and fitness.

No comments:

Post a Comment