Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Odd Jobs

Working in retail is much more glamorous than say, plunging toilets, which I did at my first job. I worked as a buser at a restaurant. I was 15 and had no idea what having a job entailed, so I did everything to ensure my success. Not only did I bus tables but I prepped and served food, cleaned the chandeliers, dusted the woodwork, vacuumed and even did delivery orders within walking distance. The owners soon figured out that I would do any task, so eventually they had me plunging toilets too. I remembering thinking, “I must go to college, this sucks!”
As unpleasant as that job was I’m grateful for the experience.
As I said in my column on Nov. 24, no work experience is without gain.

With that said, what's the strangest job you've ever had?

No comments:

Post a Comment