Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Buzz Around Bees

This week I met with three local beekeepers in Elk Grove for an upcoming features story.
First I met with Kathy and Vern Waldorf. Kathy began beekeeping two years ago as a hobby, then Vern joined in. The first bees they had died due to Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD. CCD is a major concern among beekeepers because it can wipe out entire colonies, and no one is certain what is causing it. (You'll read more about this in my article, which will come out in the next couple of weeks.)
The next day I met with Richard Henry Martin and Mill Sutter. The two friends teamed-up to manage 27 hives on two properties. Mill found friends who allowed them to keep bees on their property. Gardeners often like having bees nearby to pollinate their plants. This makes their gardens grow better. The Waldorfs said since they started beekeeping, their cherry tree has been more fruitful. Sutter and Martin said they’ve noticed a strawberry patch near their bees has had increased in production.
Beekeepers are a passionate group- and knowledgeable too!
Here are some facts I've picked up this week: without bees 2/3 of the fruits and vegetables available in grocery stores wouldn't exist. Bees die once they sting. Bees keep the temperature in their hives from the lower to mid 90 degrees Fahrenheit- even in the winter.
Martin and Sutter reminded me that the hobby of beekeeping hasn't changed since its discovery thousands of years ago. In fact, they said, honey was found in King Tutankhamun's tomb (honey also never spoils).
I was warned I might get stung, but I'm not allergic to bees so I wasn't too worried. So far I'm sting free!
I had to resist the urge to swat at the bees (which can cause them to sting). Running from the bees can also cause them to attack. But I never felt worried.
Fortunately, Sutter had a beekeepers netted hat for me to wear so the bees wouldn’t sting my face (ouch). And next week, when we visit Elk Grove beekeeper Brian, who operates the blog www.beesarelife.com ,he will have bee suits and hats for the photographer and I to wear.
Bees are so important to agriculture, it's amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment